Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Scientific Method


If it was 20* below and I lived an hour away from school and my car doesn’t start.
·         I would probably first have someone else come out and try to help me figure it out.
·         Then I would test a different vehicle to see if they would start (and if I could potentially use one of them for the day).
·         If another one started (and I couldn’t use it – say it was stick shift) I would see if “jumping” my car would start it.
·         Next I would evaluate how important is my attendance in class on this particular day. If it isn’t very necessary, then shout “YAY!” and go back to bed.
·         If my attendance was important then (depending upon the time) I would probably go back inside and send my professor an email explaining the situation and saying that I would try to be there when I could (would keep them updated).
·         One last option would be to use an enclosed space. If I had a garage, then maybe blast the heat in the garage, put the car in neutral and push it into the garage to try and warm it up. Then see if it would start after a few min.
Process to address issue
·         Previous knowledge/experience/observation
·         Educated guess
·         Collaboration/team work
·         Try the fix
·         Not work, then guess again
·         (chose not to drive)
·         (other important issues)
·         (other means)

The scientific process:
 


The scientific process really is a constant altering of hypothesis and experiments because, even if you results support your hypothesis, there may be other variables that are coming into play, so the experiment must be repeated many many times to be seen as accurate.

Though my experiment was primarily for observation purposes, I still made hypothesis in my head before moving forward. Once I had tested the chosen liquids on one surface, and collected the data (results), I made a new hypothesis as to what would happen on the next and the next; each time slightly revising my original hypothesis based on what I had just seen (the results). What was key for this experiment was consistency with other variables. Size of drops (this one was difficult to control), height dropped from (done with ruler) consistent measuring, and proper record keeping. This experiment would have been more accurate if I had an eye dropper of sorts to have more consistency and a camera for better recording of visual data.

No comments:

Post a Comment