Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Describing Electron Behavior

To describe electron behavior would be similar to describing the behavior of light. An example to picture how they work is like this: Say I wake up in the middle of the night and need to go to the bathroom. But because the hamsters are asleep I don’t want to turn a light on. I know I need to go down a step, up another, down the hall and through the kitchen, but in the dark this can be a bit tricky. Luckily, Ginny (whose room is almost to the kitchen) is still up studying and has her light. Although her door is closed, the hallway and part of the kitchen is still somewhat lit, enough for me to find my way without tripping or walking into anything. This is how electron particles act. Rather than simply creating a single rectangular beam of light under her door to the other side of the hallway, the light spreads out and fills the space. Electrons do the same by filling the space inside of an atom. They don’t stay in a straight line, but rather bounce/reflect off of another and flow around. I’m not sure if this is the best way to describe it, but it seems pretty simple to understand if put this way… I mean, even scientists don’t understand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment